Sunday 20 November 2011

Author's Notes in HF


Something I had never really thought of before or during the writing of the WsIP were author's notes. But now I'm getting near(er) the end of the first book I guess I should be! Seemingly peculiar to HF the author's note is where you get the chance to separate fact from fiction; justify any controversial choices you've made and point out some extra biographical notes that could not be shoe-horned into the narrative. At least that's what I think they are!
Interestingly some authors don't have them at all - Ken Follett's 'Pillars of the Earth' for example. While others give extensive historical detail and highlight anything they've had to compromise on or change - Bernard Cornwell includes them in each of his novels.
I was of the opinion that less is more; that I could end up writing a new textbook on the WoTR if I'm not careful and they are currently 3 pages long and counting - but that's because I got talking about the Earl of Warwick...again!

2 comments:

Susan Higginbotham said...

My editor gently suggested that I cut the size of mine on my forthcoming novel--it does go on forever. But there are so many myths about the people in this novel, it really did need a good-sized note!

Su_H said...

It is so difficult isn't it? Under four pages - just - and I'm letting it rest. I feel there's loads I haven't covered, but I don't want to rant on and spoil the experience!